Do you want to be a leader in animal welfare? Do you want to participate in high-quality medicine while making lives better for Indianapolis’ shelter animals? Would you like to be eligible for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness Program?
Join the medical staff at IndyHumane, a registered 501(c)3, and make a difference every day. At IndyHumane, it’s all about the animals, and as a leading private shelter in Indiana, our focus is on advocating for and providing the best medical care to our patients.
We are searching for compassionate and passionate veterinarians to join our close-knit team of medical professionals in caring for the city’s most needy cats and dogs. You will have a highly trained staff of technicians and assistants supporting you as well as a team of 3 other veterinarians for collaboration on a diverse caseload.
You will be able to tackle the medical and surgical cases you enjoy most, from orthopedics to dentistry, in our fully equipped surgical suite with digital radiography (including dental), Class IV laser, ultrasound, and full monitoring. You will also have the opportunity to learn and teach high quality/high volume spay neuter techniques.
If medicine is your preference, you will have full laboratory access, a stocked pharmacy with cutting-edge behavioral and medical protocols in place with plenty of room to develop more. We also promote comprehensive wellness packages and client education in our public vaccine and spay/neuter clinics.
As the voice for the animals, IndyHumane brings together like-minded, animal-focused individuals and groups to educate the public about animal welfare issues and concerns.
Join IndyHumane and be a part of 110 years of life saving history!
The Staff Veterinarian position will have a variety of opportunities within the shelter. Not only do we provide a full range of treatments and surgeries for our shelter animals, we also provide quality preventative care for public animals. We have two low-cost vaccine clinics in the city as well as a HVHQ spay/neuter clinic. We work to keep animals happy, healthy and in their home.
• Graduate of Veterinary School and a State-Certified Veterinarian • Maintain a current Controlled Substance Registration • Possess a valid Indiana Driver’s License • Must have current professional liability insurance. • Possess technical aptitude and competency in the following areas: surgery, shelter medicine, breed recognition, disease recognition, euthanasia, spay/neuter, safe animal handling, as well as a complete understanding of all IndyHumane policies, procedures, beliefs, and mission statement. • Ability to multi-task and remain flexible in multiple situations simultaneously. • Able to work professionally, as part of a team. • Comfortable with web-based programs, proficiency in Microsoft Windows programs and electronic communication, knowledge of PetPoint a plus. • Great interpersonal, communication, and time management skills essential. • Ability and initiative, working with minimal supervision and direction. • Ability to read, write and understand English required. Spanish is a plus. • Ability to learn and follow protocols consistently, adapt to a constantly changing environment, and problem-solve. Must have a strong attention to detail. • Commitment to treating people and animals with respect, contributing to an effective team, and fostering public relations that benefit the shelter and its programs.
Additional Salary Information: • Competitive salary & eligibility for PSLF
• Flexible scheduling with plenty of work-life balance
• Immediate paid time off accrual
• Health, dental, vision, and disability insurance
• Retirement plan with matching funds
• No after-hours or on-call responsibilities
• Paid VIN membership
• Generous employee pet wellness plan
About Humane Society of Indianapolis
Serving Indianapolis and the surrounding counties since 1905, the Humane Society of Indianapolis provides vital services to animals and people alike through sheltering and adopting animals, providing positive reinforcement behavior training for adoptable animals through our behavior programs, and outreach through our community and shelter programs.
Our vision is that all Central Indiana animals are treated with dignity and respect and live free from cruelty, harm, and neglect.
The Humane Society of Indianapolis is the leading voice for the welfare of animals and improving their quality of life. IndyHumane is the first choice in providing direct services for shelter cats and dogs, including adoption, foster home placement, positive reinforcement behavior training for adoptable animals, appropriate medical care, and affordable spay/neuter services. As the voice for the animals, IndyHumane brings together like-minded, animal-focused individuals and groups to educate the public about animal welfare issues and concerns. For more than 100 years, it’s all about the animals.